CHURCH HISTORY

 
 
In 1957 the San Antonio Baptist Association (SABA) Missions Committee under the direction of Reverends Jake Setser and Cecil Ray saw a need for spiritual outreach in the northeast section of San Antonio. In June of that year, SABA bought 9.495 acres located on Eisenhauer Road from Mr. and Mrs. Joe Carmack. At that same time, Highland Hills and Dellview Baptist Churches agreed to give time and financial support for a prospective church at that location. The members of these two churches gave of their time to canvas the neighborhood to find the level of interest of the people in the area. The members also agreed to build a portable building, where the first service was held on the first Sunday of May 1959. Of the 26 people attending that day, 15 joined the chapel. Almost 15 years later, on March 30, 1975, an all-time record attendance reached 868 people. Rev. John T. Frazier became the first pastor in July 1959. The chapel was formally organized into the Eisenhauer Road Baptist Church on February 7, 1960. In August of 1960, construction was begun on the first permanent building, which became the first sanctuary. The building was completed, and dedication services were held Sunday, November 20, 1960. The original sanctuary building later housed Eisenhauer Road Baptist School, which began in 1963. In March of 1966, a new sanctuary building was built providing room for 700 people and it is still being used today. By 1969 growth in the church required two Sunday Schools to be held each Sunday. In 1972 an education building was nearing completion when a fire destroyed the entire building on April 8th of that year. Reconstruction took place immediately, and the educational building was completed in October 1972 and remains in use today. The building houses administration offices, a kitchen, a 300 capacity fellowship area, and classrooms, along with other spaces.
 

Some of the ministries of ERBC through the years have included Eisenhauer Road Baptist School & Daycare, bus ministry, backyard Bible studies, annual VBS and Fall Festivals, mission trips, nursing home ministries, Prime Timers (a program for anyone 50+), RA’s and GA’s, women’s ministries, ministries to youth, Ft. Sam Houston ministries, music ministry, and discipleship training. An area youth football and cheerleading program utilizes the field adjacent to the church parking lot at present. Outreach, evangelism, and prayer have been emphasized and encouraged from the beginning.

The demographics surrounding the church have undergone much change in the past 50 plus years. The neighborhood in 1960 was mostly made up of young families, many connected with the military. Today the surrounding area represents many nations, cultures, and religious backgrounds. Currently ERBC provides space for a Korean church, as well as a Japanese mission. Over the years God has provided leadership through nine pastors as they endeavored to adapt to these changes and meet the needs of our community. The church has chosen to remain where it was planted and to be relevant to those within our sphere of influence.

Continuing His ministries—FOR GOD’S GLORY ALONE!